Tuesday, August 10, 2010

But I LIKE Timothy!

Many people have asked how I am explaining Timmy's naming ceremony to Bobby. Well - I have told him that a naming ceremony is a Jewish ceremony to give a baby their Hebrew name and welcome them into the world. A Rabbi does blessings and there is food - a pretty basic explanation and something he can understand.....or so I thought. When I told Bobby that we would be giving him a Hebrew name - he got REALLY angry at me and proclaimed that he liked Timothy as his name and we could not change it. I explained that we were not changing Timmy's name but giving him another name - his Hebrew name. As you may guess - this answer would not suffice and he said that he didn't want Timmy to get another name - he liked Timothy as his name. This went on for several minutes - explaining that he had a Hebrew name too, Daddy and I did and what that means...etc. Finally I interrupted another question and said "Bobby -Timothy is his name and will always be his name. We are not going to call him something else. He is getting a special Hebrew name at the naming- the same thing that you got when you were a baby - but we are NOT going to be calling him that. OK?" He paused and then said "Alright - I am OK with that." Well-great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment